Monday, April 29, 2019

Anchor

I have a 7.5kg genuine Bruce anchor as a kedge anchor which lives down in the cabin, and a CQR which I think is 25lb as the main anchor which gets lashed on deck up forward. I carry 10m of 8mm shortlink galvanized chain spliced onto 25m of 12mm nylon rode. I normally unshackle the anchor when sailing, to seat the chain locker lid securly, and reshackle it prior to anchoring. The chain and warp fit into the anchor locker ok. I've never sat out in daft winds with this set-up, but I'm sure it would hold in most circumstances encountered in a Scottish summer. I've read some folk use 6mm chain of various lengths, but for peice of mind, I think 8mm shortlink of a good length, combined with nylon rode will make for an enjoyable sleep if the wind pipes up, provided the anchor is well set.


Stretchy for mooring lines, tow rope, anchor line Non stretchy for halyards and sheets etc
Floating for the line attached to a lifebuoy/horseshoes etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment